Amish furniture first gained attention in the 1920s, when early American folk art was “discovered”, and dealers and historians placed great value upon the beauty and quality of the pieces. Today, Amish handmade furniture it is still held in high regard due to its quality and the attention to detail paid by the craftsmen.
In a survey of more than 2,000 customers, more than 70 percent of respondents agreed that, “The design of my furniture reflects my personal statement. A lot can be said about a person from the furniture they own.”
With its uniqueness, Amish furniture gives people a chance to show off their personality. Buying new furniture is a big investment and picking pieces that will last a long time is important. In a survey of 2,000 customers, 95.1 percent said they ‘expect furniture to last for many years and more than 90 percent of responders said they plan to keep wood furniture for at least 15 years.
If you’re in the market for some Amish furniture, here are some things to keep in mind and consider:
- 100 percent of Amish furniture is hand-crafted and there’s a lot to like about handmade furniture.
- Most Amish furniture is made from one of five types of wood: oak, cherry, maple, walnut and hickory. This gives you option when trying to choose the best one to fit the décor of your home or office.
- Make sure you know what you want. There are two types of Amish furniture: mission, which is plainer and shaker, which is the fancier option with carvings and designs being part of a piece’s structure.
- It usually takes about eight weeks to build new or custom Amish handmade furniture.
- It’s hand assembled, saving you the frustration of trying to put together a piece yourself.
- It’s easy to maintain, often requiring an occasional dusting or polish.
- Amish furniture is comparable in price to mass-produced furniture and sometimes costs even a little bit less, despite being higher quality.
- Buying Amish furniture helps the Amish. The Amish are proud of their culture and traditions and buying furniture helps reaffirm their commitment to their work and culture.
- If you’re ordering Amish furniture online, expect to wait 12-16 weeks for your order. Ordering online also gives you a chance to be involved in the building process, selecting your wood, size, hardware and other features.
The same uniqueness can be found other Amish construction such as Amish built sheds, Amish built barns, Amish built garages and Amish gazebos. Amish shed designs and designs for other Amish buildings are focused on economical storage and are handcrafted. Many Amish handmade furniture pieces also offer the chance for your yard to have a unique touch with a pleasing aesthetic.
If you’re in need of extra space and looking into Amish built garages or Amish built sheds, it is important to determine your space needs and add about 25 percent for future storage needs. Amish shed designs focus on giving a user plenty of storage and the Amish sheds and Amish built garages also focus on durability. A wooden shed should last at least 15-20 years and Amish sheds offer that strength and durability.
Depending on what your needs are, Amish built garages can give you all the space you need. If you purchase a two-story garage, you have plenty of space for a couple of cars and ample space for other things such as lawnmowers, snow blowers and tools. If the first story of the garage is used for parking cars, the second story can be turned into a storage area for seasonal items or perhaps even a rec room for some rest and relaxation.
With a unique look and durability, adding Amish handmade furniture or adding a piece of Amish construction to your backyard can give your home a look or personality that suits you. Depending on your needs, a 10-by-10 mini barn can be purchased for around $2,700. Discounted sheds are just that, offered at a discount and a custom model usually requires a lead time of 3-6 weeks.
A visit to a local Amish furniture store can help you find the perfect pieces for your furniture for your home or backyard and by purchasing it, you’ll be getting a homemade, quality product that’s sure to last many years.