Oh to be young again.
To go back to the excitement of renting your first apartment. Looking for just the right location at just the right price seemed like a challenge. You were blessed with a large scholarship that allowed you to graduate from college without any debt. The used car you were driving was paid for as well. Creating a detailed budget of where the money from your new job would go, you knew exactly what you could afford to pay for rent. And while it was not a fortune, the money you had budgeted for rent would be able to get you a pretty nice apartment. And, let’s face it, after four years of living on campus in college dormitories, all of the apartments look like palaces.
What Are You Looking for In an Apartment?
The best thing about looking for rental properties is that there are many available, all sizes, all locations, and all prices. the worst thing about looking for rental properties is that there are many available, all sizes, all locations, and all prices. Kind of crazy, isn’t it? The same things that make apartment hunting so fun is also the same thing that makes the search so difficult. While some locations may offer very few choices, it is just as common to have too many choices.
Because the options are so varied, some people find that it is best to have a list of things they are looking for in the ideal apartment. Here is a list of some of the questions you might want to consider:
- Do you have to have an apartment, or are you willing to look at townhomes and condominiums as well?
- How many bedrooms do you want?
- How many bathrooms do you want?
- Do you need to have a separate dining room, or can it be combined with the kitchen?
- Do you need a garage or covered parking?
- Are you willing to have an outside entrance, or do you want a locked and secured building entrance that leads to hallways where the apartments are?
- Is having access to a fitness center and a swimming pool important to you?
- Do you want to have washer and dryer hookups in your rental unit?
- Do you want to be able to make color and carpet choices?
- How much rent can you afford?
Apartment Renting Is a Popular Option for Many Americans
Did you know that the average American moves 12 times in his or her life? In fact, more than 30% of renters move each year. This means that one in every three renters will be looking for a new place to stay every year. The reason that the renters move, however, can vary. While some people are looking for a new spot because of a job relocation, others are looking for a new place for other reasons. Sometimes a renter needs to move because they have lost a job, ended an marriage, or are just moving out on their own. For these renters, the process of finding a place to stay can be more stressful.