This is a dream move. Your husband has just been promoted to a new position and the company is footing the bill for th move. In addition to a nice raise and the fact that the company is covering the moving expenses, the company has also agreed to pay for you to stay in temporary housing for as long as you need. And while you would love to find a house and move to somewhere permanent right away, it is more important that you take the time to understand the real estate market in this new city and that you find the kind of house that you want in a school district that will be a good fit for your children. The fact that you have two teenage boys means that not only are the academics of the school district important, but you also need to make sure that you find a district that offers the electives that your boys are most interested in.
Because your husband will be working to adjust to a new position at a new job, much of the initial work with the real estate agents will fall to you. And while you knew a lot about buying and selling a home where you used to live, it will be a bit of a different story where you are living now. You will have to familiarize yourself with buying a home in this area of the country and in finding the information that you want to know about the area school districts. You are tempted to look at waterfront homes now that your boys are older and are better swimmers, but you need to make sure you work with a real estate agent who will help you keep a perspective when it comes to the value of homes in some of these waterfront neighborhoods.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the real estate industry in the country and the impact that it has on the nation’s economy:
- 5.2 million existing homes were sold in the year 2015.
- Before taking action on a real estate website, potential home buyers will perform an average of 11 searches.
- 83% of buyers are looking to purchase a single-family home, according to Zillow.
- 32% of people looking to buy new homes are buying a home for the first time home buyers.
- Real estate related Google searches have grown 253% over the past four years.
- Since the U.S. Census Bureau started tracking the number in 1965, the 2016 U.S. home ownership rate at 62.9% is the lowest rate s.
Whether you are moving across town or across the country, it is important to make sure that you understand the housing market before you make a purchase. Through research on the internet and with the help of a local realtor, however, you should be able to understand the market and the availability and find the home that you are looking for.