Published on August 11th, 2014 | by Balanced Family0
9 Reasons Your Furniture Can and Should Go Green
If you’re living a green lifestyle, you’re doing everything you can to keep the planet healthy, and keep your family healthy as well. But one thing you may not have considered, is that fact that you can “go green” with your furniture as well. Filling your home with green furniture not only helps the environment, but will help to keep your family healthy, as the furniture will not be putting harmful substances into the air you breathe everyday. Below are some green furniture buying tips to keep in mind the next time you are furniture shopping.
- Buy Certified – FSC certified wood, and Oeko Text certified textiles ensure that ecosystems are not being destroyed, and you furniture is not full of harmful chemicals.
- Buy Renewable – Buying products made from renewable materials (like bamboo) ensures that any material used in your furnishings can be replenished easily.
- Buy Reclaimed Wood – Reclaimed wood is usually reclaimed from old furniture, buildings, and factory scraps, meaning fewer healthy trees are harmed for materials.
- Buy Recycled – The same can be said about furniture made from recycled metal or plastic: fewer natural furniture building materials are being harmed.
- Buy Non-Toxic – Buying furniture with non-toxic or low-toxic finishes cuts down on toxic off-gassing and helps keep your family safe.
- Buy Locally-Made – Buying locally-made furniture cuts down on the energy requirements to ship it from one place to the other.
- Buy Durable – Well-made, high quality furniture lasts for a long time, and can be recycled and reused.
- Buy Recyclable- High quality furniture made from quality materials can usually be easily disassembled at the end of its life, and the pieces can be recycled easily.
- Buy Vintage Buying used or vintage furniture saves resources, and keeps the piece from ending up in a landfill.
Not only will buying “green” furniture good for both the environment and your family, but you’ll find that it’s actually very high quality furniture that will be beautiful and sustainable for years to come. Read more.